We reached Prague in the mid afternoon from Bratislavia and headed for our hostel immediately after arriving at the bus terminal. The hostel that we stayed in was the Prague Plus Hostel and the staff at the reception are the best! =D A particular staff even gave us a tip to get to Poland so that we only spent less than half of what we would have to spend if we went by the usual way. Anyway, this hostel was the cheapest yet the best in terms of facilities; there was an adjoining toilet and shower in each room of 8 beds!
After that, we went to Wenceslas Square and explored the area. It was a very vibrant and touristy place actually, with rows of retail shops and fast food restaurants, but there were many locals too and it was like our Orchard Road, except the buildings are like shophouses and the pavements were cobbled.
The Czech National Museum is right at the end of the street. In front of it is a monument of the Saints.
The next day, we visited the Old Town Square where all the famous buildings were. In order of the photos are: Powder Tower, Astronomical Clock, Church of Our Lady in front of Tyn (the building with lots of pointy small towers), the centre of the main square and the streets around the main square. This place was bustling with many different groups of tourists with tour guides all speaking a different language! We tried to tag onto an english speaking one but decided we werent able to blend into the group haha.
We also went to Charle's Bridge, a bridge which has statues lined on its sides, supposedly done by a famous artist. There were lots of people along the bridge, and little cartshops, caricature artists and buskers too! The atmosphere there was quite cheery and holiday-like haha.
We also visited the floral garden which houses not only flowers, but also a stonege wall thingy, a chapel-like thingy, enclosure with owls inside, a fish pond and there were even peacocks which PJ liked chasing after. =/
Some other random photos we took along our journey...
Not to forget, posta time! =)
The next day, we set off early to catch the 8am train from Havri Central Station to Cesky (also in Czech) so that we could cross the border to Poland. On the train, us 5 sat in a compartment which a lady has already sat in. I saw her tearing as the train pulled away from the station and I comforted her by patting her on her shoulder and after that, she told me that she is a transvestite and even pointed out to me her 'boobs', adam's apple, crotch area and even showed me her flabby tummy. She even went as far as to show me the cycle of hormone pills she had to take! I was really shocked that she told me all that and I just nodded and 'Oh'. It was so amusing how she could just share that information with me that easily. Unfortunately, I could not converse with her much, as she doesnt speak much english and the few words she knows are 'man, woman, pills', which was how she told me she used to be a man and now she is a woman. She even gave me her rose printed scarf when she saw me adjusting my pink scarf as we made ourselves ready to leave the train for our stop! In return, I gave her a little airplane shaped toy I got from a Kinder Surprise egg as I wanted to reciprcate her kind gesture but had nothing to give her. =P It was a weird yet pleasant experience I encountered and I dont think I will ever forget it. =)
This is the scarf that she gave me. (I gave the scarf to the breakfast lady we met in Krakow's hostel since I wouldnt be using it! The scarf's quite orh biang! =X)
This is it for Prague. I really enjoyed this leg of our journey and I hope that the transvestite lady would be happy and have a good life. =)
Last part of our Eastern Europe journey - Poland! Up next. =)
No comments:
Post a Comment