Thursday, August 28, 2008

Settling down fine. =)

I have already been in Oslo for more than 3 weeks but I have not writen much about the situation here! =X There is actually alot to write about, and I cannot think logically right now, so I shall just write about anything that comes to my mind okay? Pardon me if it gets messy haha. =)

I am currently staying in Kringsja Student Hostel. It is like a village of 36(?) low-rise flats scattered around in a small area with its own gym and a Kiwi minimart. I dont know why but there are also some nurseries/child care centres within this village and there is one just in front of my block with a playground. I can hear the children playing, screaming and crying almost everyday in my room because my room's view is THE PLAYGROUND which is just less than a few metres away from my window and I stay on the 1st level. The screaming and crying can get irritating in the afternoons when I am taking naps! Haha, but otherwise, it is actually quite cute to see the children running around. They all look so stubby and short and I guess you can say they are really cute! (P/S: I still do NOT like kids. LOL. )

My 3 current neighbours (level mates) are from Kenya and Russia! ( We all think she is from Russia lol, but we arent very sure.) =p She is this VERY tall and skinny, pale vampire-looking Eurasian who is very unfriendly and does not speak much. The 1st few times we saw her in the kitchen, we said HI and smiled to her BUT she almost always ignore us and seem to avoid any forms of eye contact. So we all agreed that she must be a racist and a vampire, and if she starts to speak to us she might not be able to resist the urge to suck our blood. =X The 2 Kenyans are a different story. =) They are also TALL but BIG in size, very friendly and are very easily amused by us. I say that because they laugh at the smallest things we do! Like when I was a toot and asked one of them how to use the oven, "ooh-ed' at their meals (they have a HUGE appetite!) and tried to learn to say 'thank you' in Kenyan (I have already forgotten LOL.), they would laugh this really funny laughter and I would wonder whether they are laughing at my stupidity or that they just find my actions amusing. Anyway, it doesnt matter because they are really nice and I feel comfortable being neighbours with them. =)

I had 2 Polish and a Norwegian for neighbours too, but the former left in our 2nd week of stay and the latter moved in and out within a week's stay. So that's the end of them. =)

Anyway, we have to pay I think 10NOK (about S$3) each time we use the washing machine! So that means I will have to handwash my clothes to cut costs. =( Luckily the weather is very cold and I dont sweat at all, if not I will have LOTS of clothes to wash. I HATE washing the clothes la, especially when I have to wait for the bathing tub ( we got this old but workable peice of kiddy's bathing tub from the Salvation Army store here ) to get filled up with water by the shower (a fixed shower head at the top) because there is no tap other than the tap in the basin. Then I will get half soaked even before I start washing the clothes. =/ Hopefully I will only need to do the washing once every fortnightly lol. =p

Also, have I mentioned that the day here in Norway is extremely long?! =) The sun rises around 5am and sets only around 10pm! I have more or less gotten used to the abnormality, though I still find it quite interesting. I will have to treasure this period when the day is still longer than the nights, because the nights will then be longer than the day come late November, and I dont think I will like that very much.

I am now into my 2nd week of school already, and so far still okay. I have Fridays free! That means a LONG weekend! =D I hope to take the chance to travel around Norway and also to neighbouring countries! We have a one week term break starting this 19th September, and we have made plans to travel to eastern europe! (More spending! =X) We have already booked flights out to Budapest (Hungary) from Oslo and back to Oslo from Warsaw (Poland) from 17th till 26th September, but in between this 10 days, we intend to see at least 2 other countries though the itinerary has not been confirmed. It will be soon, and I am looking forward to it! =) Will update once everything is settled yeah.

I guess I am adapting well in Oslo and I hope to get a part time job here so that it can make travelling less painful for the pockets haha. If not, when I get back to Singapore, I will work twice as hard to earn back! =) In the meanwhile, I will try to live life as fully as possible within my means of course, so that I will not regret when I finally get back home! =)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

LETTIE!! i want to go find u! the places so prettyy!!

lettie said...

Hi cey! =) u came to my blog to visit! haha. Come and find me with RURU la! haha, welcome welcome! =)